Mission Development Office
What is the Mission Development Office?
The Mission Development Office was created in 2007 by the Congregational Leadership Team in Rome to:
- Develop and expand a global network of donors and partners willing to support Good Shepherd Sisters’ ministries in the developing countries;
- Prepare project proposals in collaboration with the GSS units in Africa, Asia and Latin America to match them with prospective international donors and submit applications for funding;
- Link with the donors to manage the grants and support the sisters in reporting to improve the projects’ accountability;
- Train sisters and lay partners in grant-seeking and project management;
- Raise awareness of Good Shepherd Sisters’ initiatives in poverty eradication, human trafficking, peace building at global level.
Since 2007 the MDO has:
• Worked on approximately 200 requests for funds submitted by Good Shepherd Sisters from 28 countries (Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Senegal, Sudan, Burkina Faso, Congo, Kenya, Mozambique, South Africa, Madagascar, Angola, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Myanmar, Nepal, Indonesia, Philippines, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Perù, Bolivia, Chile);
- Submitted over 190 applications for funds to international funding agencies and private donors;
- Consolidated the network of traditional catholic funding agencies (Misean Cara Ireland, Missio Aachen, Kindermissionswerk, MIVA NL, Misereror, Italian Bishops Conference, Hilton Fund, Koch foundation) who have been supporting the sisters in the past and created relationships with new agencies and private donors;
- Improved the overall quality of the proposals presented to the funding agencies, increased their level of accountability, and contributed to raise the profile of the Good Shepherd Sisters with international partners and in the social media community;
- Achieved a success rate in grant-seeking of 80%;
- Created a new website www.goodshepherdinternationalfoundation.org featuring the projects of the Good Shepherd Sisters in Africa, Asia, and Latin America supported by the MDO and developed an active community on the Social media on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GSIFoundation and Twitter https://twitter.com/GSSIFoundation
In 2008 the Mission Development Office has been registered in Italy as the Good Shepherd International Foundation ONLUS. The Foundation is managed by a Board of Directors, appointed by the Congregational Leadership Team. The Board is chaired by the Executive Director.
The staff of the Foundation includes:
Cristina Duranti, Director, who is responsible to report to the Board and the CLT about the activities and the results achieved by the Foundation annually, develop the partnership with the Sisters in the target countries, with the potential and existing donors, supervise the grant management, prepare application for funding.
To contact Cristina, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Curreri, Resource Coordinator for Women Projects, who is responsible to coordinate the multi-country project Networking our Way out of Poverty in Thailand, Kenya, Philippines, until the end of 2013 and to support the sisters of Angola, Mozambique, Kenya in assessing their needs, planning new projects and managing the grants received.
To contact Andrea, email email@example.com
Sr. Yolanda Borbon, Treasurer, is responsible for the Administration and Financial Management of the Foundation;
Sr. Gemma Dinglasan, Assistant to the Treasurer, is responsible for the accounting;
Sr. Eliene Barros, Executive Director, is the Chairperson of the Foundation’s Board and the Legal Representative;
In 2010 the Province of Lebanon-Syria has decided to start-up the creation of a local MDO in Lebanon which works in collaboration with the MDO in Rome and is coordinated by Sr. Antoinette Assaff. Thanks to the support offered by the Australian Volunteers Association, which has provided a professional volunteer for 2 years, the office has been established and is now supporting the sisters in Lebanon and Syria to fundraise for their programs with national and international partners.
The MDO also collaborates closely with Sr. Margaret Lynch who is the Link Officer with Misean Cara (www.miseancara.ie) the Irish agency which supports Irish missionary projects in the developing countries.
In 2013, the MDO is working with the Province of Bolivia-Chile and the Provincial leaders of REAL to develop an MDO Latin America , based in Bolivia, supporting the projects of the sisters in the region.
First meeting of the Advisory Board for the Mission Development office - July 2013